1. Sociologist Sam Richards asks if it’s possible to understand the motivations of an Iraqi insurgent? He wonders: Can anyone truly understand and empathize with another?
2. Buddhist roshi Joan Halifax explains what she earned about compassion in the face of death and dying, and a deep insight into the nature of empathy in the course of her hospice work.
3. Bestselling author Jeremy Rifkin investigates the evolution of empathy.
4. Research professor Brené Brown delivers a deeply personal talk about our ability to love and empathize.
5. Neuro-economist Paul Zak explains how Oxytocin is responsible for empathy—and a stable society.
contributions from Frankie Thomas and Ilya Tsinis