1. Bully (Laura Vaccaro Seeger): Simple animal tale of bullying, empathy, and forgiveness.
2. Good News Bad News (Jeff Mack): Spare story of ups and downs, great for toddlers and preschoolers.
3. The Invisible Boy (Trudy Ludwig): Kind tale of empathy shows how to reach out to left out kid.
4. Charlotte's Web (E.B. White): Gentle, much-loved classic delights all ages.
5. Ramona the Pest (Beverly Cleary): Ramona helps young kids build empathy.
6. One Day and One Amazing Morning on Orange Street (Joanne Rocklin): Orange trees draws a neighborhood together in this unique story.
7. Prairie Evers (Ellen Airgood): Great novel about a girl, her chicken, and her best friend.
8. The Enemy: A Book About Peace (Davide Cali): Simple lessons about war and enemies; not for little kids.
9. Junonia (Kevin Henkes): Sweet, coming-of-age story teaches empathy and kindness.
10. Freak the Mighty (Rodman Philbrick): Outcasts join forces to conquer readers' hearts.
11. Mockingbird (Kathryn Erskine): National Book Award winner imparts importance of empathy.
12. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee): Stunning classic examines racism - and justice.
13. Dear Bully: 70 Authors Tell their Stories (Carrie Jones, Megan Kelley Hall): Kids', teens' authors share personal bullying experiences.
14. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck): Gritty Steinbeck classic brings Great Depression to life.
This list has been compiled by Common Sense Media.